Answers to Pumpkin Quiz
1. In which children’s fairy tale did the word pumpkin first appear?
ANSWER: The word pumpkin first appeared in the 17th century in the fairy tale Cinderella. Before that they were called pepons, and from that we got pumpkin!
2. Is a pumpkin a fruit or a vegetable?
ANSWER: The pumpkin is a fruit, part of the melon and cucumber family.
3. Which fruit or vegetable preceded the pumpkin as a carved decoration and from which country did that originate?
ANSWER: Before pumpkins, the Irish carved potatoes and turnips – the precursors to jack-o-lanterns.
4. Roughly how many seeds does each pumpkin contain?
ANSWER: 500 and they are very high in iron.
5. What percentage of a pumpkin is water?
ANSWER: 90%, making it low in calories!
6. How much pumpkin is in a pumpkin latte?
ANSWER: None – a true pumpkin latte is a coffee drink made with a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove with steamed milk and espresso. It is usually topped with whipped cream and pumpkin pie spice.
7. Did the Pilgrims really eat Pumpkin Pie?
ANSWER: Yes, but since they didn’t have flour, their version of pumpkin pie was a pudding steamed inside of a pumpkin. Hmmm…that sounds like a good idea for Thanksgiving this year!